Bashung in English: Duos, Covers and Discoveries

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

L'homme à tête de chou



by Serge Gainsbourg

(Note: The first song on the album sets up the story and looks ahead, so some of it may not 
make sense until you hear the rest of the story..)

Je suis l’homme à la tête de chou
I am the man with the head of a cabbage
Moitié légume moitié mec
Half vegetable half guy
Pour les beaux yeux de Marilou
For the beautiful eyes of Marilou
Je suis allé porter au clou
I went to pawn
Ma Remington et puis mon break
My Remington and then my good fortune
J’étais à fond de cale à bout
I was completely broke at the end
De nerfs, j’avais plus un kopeck
Of my nerves, I didn't have a kopeck
Du jour où je me mis avec
From the day I started going with
Elle je perdis à peu près tout,
Her I lost just about everything
Mon job à la feuille de chou
My job at the cabbage leaf
A scandales qui me donnait le bifteck
At scandals that gave me my meat
J’étais fini foutu échec
I was finished fucked checked
Et mat au yeux de Marilou
And mated in the eyes of Marilou
Qui me traitait comme un blanc-bec
Who treated me like a greenhorn
Et me rendait moitié coucou.
And rendered me half cuckoo
Ah non tu peux pas savoir mec
Ah no you cannot know man
Il lui fallait des discothèques
She had to have discotheques
Et bouffer au Kangourou
And to eat at the Kangaroo Club
Club alors je signais des chèques
So I signed the checks
Sans provision j’étais fou fou
Without funds I was crazy crazy
A la fin j’y fis le caillou
In the end I made her head
Comme un melon une pastèque
Like a melon a watermelon
Mais comment-Je ne vais pas du tout
But how--In no way am I going to
Déballer comme ça aussi sec
Unveil it like this so curt
Quoi? Moi? L’aimer encore? Des clous
What? Me? Love her again? No dice
Qui et où suis-je? Chou ici ou
Who and where am I? Cabbage here or
Dans la blanche écume varech
In the white foam kelp
Sur la plage de Malibu
On the beach of Malibu


No comments:

Post a Comment