Bashung in English: Duos, Covers and Discoveries

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Mortel battement/ Nocturne


With Zend Avesta en 2000
Texte : Jean Tardieu
Musique : Arnaud Rebotini


Ici commence et meurt
Here begins and dies
Le "peut-être encore", le "très peu", le "presque pas"
The "maybe again", the "very little", and the "almost not"
Naît l'image - Rien à voir
The image is born - Nothing to do with
Ni le clair, ni l'obscur, ni la couleur
Neither the light nor the obscure nor the color
L'ombre, un instant gardée, d'un objet disparu
The shadow, a guarded instant, of an object disappeared
C'est que les signes tracés sitôt le feu les flambe
It's the traced signs soon after the fire burns them
Il roule en deça des sons, un grondement monotone
It rolls below the sounds, a monotonous grinding
À travers l'énorme rien, la menace du possible
Across the enormous nothing, the menace of the possible
Avec l'impossible se cache pour s'accoupler
With the impossible is hidden in order to copulate
Par un bruit de paroles, je m'efforce d'imiter
By a noise of words, I force myself to imitate
Ce mortel battement qui couvre le silence
This miserable beating that covers the silence

Ici, s'ouvre un monde nouveau
Here is opened a new world
Démasqué par la fin du jour, le temps bascule
Unmasked by the end of the day, time topples over
J'écoute, je retiens mon souffle
I listen, I hold my breath
Une réponse dernière, un pâle éclat,
A last response, a pale spark
Un secret promis est tenu
A secret promise is kept
Les mots, un essaim d'astre plume une feuille
The words, a swarm of star feather a leaf
La nuit s'éclaire au centre
The night is lit at the center
Au centre est la source de toute couleur
At the center is the source of all color
Au centre est l'avenir longtemps mûrit sous les cendres
At the center is the future long ripe under the ashes
Au centre est mon amour pour ce monde
At the center is my love for this world
Ma joie, mon espérance invincible est trahie
My joy, my invincible hope is betrayed

J'irai mourir dans mon enfer
I will go die in my hell
Je déchirerai les vestiges de la misère
I will decipher the vestiges of misery
Je délivrerai ce qui est immobile
I will deliver what is immobile
Je perdrai mes enfants dans la clarté
I will lose my children in the light
Je forcerai les secrets de la douleur
I will force the secrets of pain
J'écarterai les rideaux du théâtre de la mort
I will part the curtains of the theater of death

Oublie mémoire, soupire
Forget memory, sigh
Roule miracle, torrent, puissance
Roll miracle, torrent, power
Que l'aube arrive, reparte ou revienne
That dawn comes, leaves and comes back
Que fuient les tourbillons
That the whirlwinds of life flee

Le silence est un tonnerre lointain
Silence is a faraway thunder
Toute défaite aimant triomphe !
Everything undone loving triumphs

2 comments:

  1. Small edit: J'écoute, je retiens mon souffle/ I listen, I retain my breath
    The english equivalent is, more accurately, "I hold my breath." This is the conventional phrase, one that I suppose didn't translate as well directly. Thanks for the translation, this is a great piece of music

    ReplyDelete
  2. good catch. i changed it. xoxoxoxoox

    ReplyDelete